What Pests Are Most Common in The Fall?by Julia Gabriel
Fall brings about a delightful change in scenery with its crisp air and vibrant foliage. However, as the temperatures drop, it's not just humans who crave the warmth and comfort of indoors. While piles of fallen leaves provide temporary refuge, our homes offer a more attractive, long-term sanctuary for many pests. Even the most diligent homeowner can still find themselves battling a pest infestation as temperatures drop. Below, we'll go through the most common pests, signs that you have some unwelcome guests, and some prevention tips.
Top Five Most Common Fall Pests
Pests of all kinds can find their way into our home; however, certain pests are more active in the fall. Each of the following pests can become unwelcome guests as the leaves start to fall:
- Mice: As temperatures drop, mice seek warmth and food sources indoors, making homes an attractive refuge from the cold.
- Spiders: Autumn is the prime mating season for many spider species, leading them indoors to find shelter and establish territories.
- Rats: Like mice, rats move inside to escape cooler weather and find consistent food supplies that become scarcer outside.
- Ants: Preparing for winter, ants often invade homes in search of sustenance, storing up food before their dormant period.
- Cockroaches: Drawn to the warmth and availability of food, cockroaches infiltrate homes in the fall to avoid the chilly outdoor conditions and to have access to food and water.
Signs You Have Pests
When it comes to these pests, they all have their telltale signs. Keep watch for any of the below:
Mice and Rats:
- Droppings that are tiny and pellet-like (often found in drawers, cupboards, or corners)
- Scratching Noises
- Gnaw Marks
- Egg Sacs
- Frequent Sightings
- Molted Skins
- Nests that look like tiny piles of soil or dirt (usually found between bricks or in the foundation)
- Wing Drops
- Droppings that resemble coffee grounds or black pepper
- Egg Casings
- Live Sightings
Ways to Avoid Pests in The Fall
To ensure you're not playing host to these unwelcome guests, here are some steps tailored for fall prevention:
- Seal entry points (mice can squeeze through gaps as small as a dime!)
- Keep areas clean
- Reduce clutter
- Clear fallen leaves
- Store your food
- Dispose of decorative pumpkins/gourds
- Wipe up spills
Of course, the safest and most effective solution to repel and deter pests is to purchase ultrasonic pest repellers.
Ultrasonic pest repellers are a safe, non-toxic, environmentally friendly, and pet-safe way to keep your home pest-free. They work by emitting high-frequency sound waves that are inaudible to humans and pets but drive out and deter pests like rodents and insects.
This fall, focus on enjoying the season's festivities. By purchasing ultrasonic pest repellers from Ever Pest, you can rest easy knowing your home is protected against pests. Check out our selection today and protect your space from unwanted intruders.