How to Get Rid of Ticksby Julia Gabriel
Ticks are not just a nuisance – they also cause dangerous diseases to the human body and pets. Have you ever heard of Lyme disease? The disease can cause long-term problems to your health. You can experience serious heart problems, arthritis, and even cognitive troubles.
Ticks Infestation in the House - Why Do You Have This Problem?
Ticks have been a problem for quite a long time. These pests are known to be parasites and need a host to be able to live. Ticks need to feed on animal and human blood to live.
You might be wondering, "Why are there ticks in my house?" The answer? When you go into woody and bushy areas, you can carry ticks when you go home. Moreover, your pet's fur is a loved place by ticks, and thus when your dog goes out to play, it might have brought ticks.
Modern Method of Getting Rid of Ticks at Home
It might seem as if ticks in the house are impossible to deal with. However, as technology advances, the traditional ways of eliminating ticks have improved. One of the best ways today to get rid of ticks is through ultrasonic pest repeller or controllers. The pest defender uses ultrasonic, electromagnetic, and bionic pulses to get rid of not just ticks but all pests at your home. We also make sure that the technology is cruelty-free. We don't kill ticks. Instead, we make the condition of your home unbearable to the pests, so they will leave the area.
Traditional methods would kill and leave dead pests in your houses, leaving you with more cleaning up to do. It would also be difficult to know whether all the ticks are gone. With this new technology, you don't have to make much effort to find a tick within your home. The ticks can't tolerate the conditions set by pest control technology. Thus, no pests would dare to invade your home.
Natural Ways to Eliminate Ticks- Do They Really Work?
There is no guarantee that you would eliminate all the pests present in your home using natural oils and plants. You may have expelled some, but you can't be sure to remove every one of the ticks. But don't worry! There are pesticides, spray, and technologies proven by scientists to get rid of ticks.
How to Identify & Control Ticks
To prevent more infestations of ticks, you need to identify early if your house is infected with the pest.
Here are some of the common ticks and their appearance:
Lone Star Tick - You can easily identify this tick by the white patch on its brown body. The pest is about 3mm.
- Gulf Coast Tick - This tick is much bigger than a lone star - about 6mm in length. You can differentiate it by the light streaks and spots on its reddish-brown body.
- Brown Dog Tick - The most common tick has a brown body with the same length as a lone star (3mm), but it doesn't have a white patch on its back.
- Deer Tick or Blacklegged Tick - The tick with no eyes. The pest has a 3mm body length with black or brown color.
- American Dog Tick – It's about 5 mm in length and has a reddish-brown color.
How Did I Get Ticks?
You might be wondering how ticks entered your premises. Here are some of the reasons for the pest infestation:
- When you go into woody and bushy areas, you can carry ticks when you go home.
- Your pet's fur is a loved place by ticks, and, thus, when your dog goes out to play, it might bring home ticks.
- When you have holes and cracks in your walls, ceiling, and doors, the ticks can enter too.
- If you have a backyard with woods, bushes, and other plants, ticks can be living there, especially when the weather is humid. Then, they can enter your house when you pass through the yard and the ticks attached to your body or clothing.
- If your nearby neighbors are infested with ticks, these pests may spread to your house.
- If you go outside and get drenched in the rain, you might carry ticks in with your clothes.
How Serious Are Ticks?
Ticks should not be taken lightly. The diseases that it causes are the following:
- Lyme disease - The disease can spread to the joints, heart, and nervous system. This could cause arthritis and heart problems in the long term.
- Anaplasmosis - You can become immuno-compromised, leading to fever and muscle pain.
- Babesiosis - Your red blood cells can be destroyed and can cause anemia.
- Ehrlichiosis - You will experience fevers, headaches, and muscle pain.
- Powassan Virus Disease - You can have an infection in the brain and spinal cord that can affect your coordination.
- Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever - It is the most serious disease caused by ticks; you can have a high fever, headaches, muscle pain, and rashes.
Tularemia - You can experience difficulty in breathing, chest pain, and discharged blood.
Signs of Infestation
To know if your home is already infested with ticks, you can take note of the following:
- The members of the family have ticks on their bodies or clothes.
- Your pet scratches its body, and you can find ticks.
- You will see small tick eggs in the corners of the windows and walls of your house.
- When you clean, you will see ticks in the vacuum or any cleaning materials.
- You or your family members feel any symptoms of tick-borne diseases such as fever, headaches, and muscle pains.
How Do I Get Rid of Ticks?
To remove ticks, you can try the following tips:
- Consult pest management offices with a specialty in tick infestation.
- Look for proven and tested pesticides.
- You can use technology such as ultrasonic pest repellers.
If you find a tick, don't step on it or smash it. Its body is very hard, so flush it down the toilet instead.
Prevention is better than a cure since ticks cause a really serious problem. You can prevent ticks with the following:
- Avoid going near the wooded areas and bushes.
- Don't let your pets play in woody and bushy areas.
- Don't enter the house immediately when you're drenched in the rain. You can dry your clothes first to get the ticks away.
- Always check for cracks and holes in the house.
Make sure to cut out the bushy and woody area in your yard.
Removing Ticks From People & Pets
If you or your pet get ticks in the body, you need to carefully remove them to avoid spreading the bite and cause more pain. Get tweezers to remove the tick instead of grasping the tick with your hands. The tick can transfer to your hands if you use it. Carefully use the tweezers to pull the tick from the person or the dog. Don't pull immediately. You might end up not getting the tick, and the pest might run away.
Behavior, Diet & Habits
- Behavior: Ticks climb on different plants and woods as they search for hosts. They can even detect shadows of passing hosts.
- Diet: Ticks have a hematophagous diet, and they feed on blood to survive. Thus, the pests hitch a ride on hosts, like humans and dogs, to get the blood from them.
- Habits: The pests crawl onto surfaces, especially at night as they search for hosts. They don't just stick to one host, but they move from one host to another from time to time.
Ticks have four stages in their life cycle.
- Six-legged larvae - feed on the first host
- Eight-legged nymph - feed on the second host
- Adult - drop off eggs to any host
To complete the life cycle, ticks take blood from different hosts such as dogs and humans.
How to Get Rid of Ticks From Clothes, House, and Yard
You can get rid of ticks indoors and outdoors by having different preventive and control measures. Here are some helpful tips to keep your premises tick-free.
How to Get Rid of Ticks in Your Yard
Yards are areas where ticks climb on plants and woods. So, you need to be extra cautious and clean more than often to avoid these pests.
How to Keep Your Yard Tick-Free:
- Cut tall grasses.
- Trim weeds.
- If you found the tick's habitat, bag the leaf litter or plants and dispose of them.
- Use safe pesticides to spray on your yard.
Make sure when you water the plants, it is enough. Don't put too much water since ticks love humid areas.
How to Get Rid of Ticks in Your House
If you want to make sure that you'll have a tick-free indoors, you need to be observant with your house. It would be best if you made sure that pests wouldn't want to stay in your house.
Steps to a Tick-Free Home:
- Keep your house clean all the time.
- Don't leave any open holes in your house.
- If you have any wet clothes from outside, don't put them in the house. Dry them outside first to keep ticks from entering your home.
- Constantly check your vacuums and cleaning materials if there are any ticks. Then, do the control measures to prevent further infestation.
- Please keep your pets tick-free by cleaning them always. Then, avoid losing your pets in woody areas.
- Always have safe pesticides or ultrasonic repellent around your home so that when you see any ticks, you can take action immediately to avoid more infestation.
How to Avoid Getting a Tick Bite
The best way to avoid tick bites is to prevent having any pests. Don't wait until your house and yard get infested with these dangerous pests. You have to become cautious of the places you're going to and use any preventive technologies to ensure your house isn't bearable for any pests. You may also go to Ever Pest repellers catalogue to learn how you can avail our ultrasonic pest control. We guarantee you that you won't have to worry about ticks anymore when you use our device.